Thursday, January 25, 2007

Steinbeck: Travels with Charley in Search of America

I love Steinbeck. I love traveling. And I particularly love dogs. Thus, Travels with Charley is perhaps my new favorite book. Honestly, though, it’s a great read and a quick one. I’ve always wanted to travel around the country, and what better way to do it than through the eyes of a really incredible author? (Although I’ll cop to initially being a little disappointed that he took his trip in an RV. I had an image of Steinbeck traveling Kerouac-style, but to be fair, he was 58 at the time, so I suppose I don’t blame him.)

Steinbeck sets out on his 3-month trip because he feels he’s lost touch with America, “lost the flavor and taste and sound of it,” and he hopes to reacquaint himself with his country. He takes along Charley, his blue poodle, for company. Overall, he paints a beautiful and respectful picture of the country and its inhabitants, but Steinbeck doesn’t shirk from the kind of insightful social commentary that characterizes his other works, and that’s what makes this more than just a fluffy travel book. His trip took place in the 1960’s, and his recounting of his experiences in the South vividly characterize the racial tension of the time; he makes no bones about showing the rough edges of the people and places he encounters.

Travels with Charley is a really worthwhile read, especially if you’re already familiar with and enjoy Steinbeck’s writing. It’s beautifully written, tells a great story, and if that weren’t enough, it has a dog who says “Ftt.”

No comments: